08 August 2009

Atlasing and daylength

After reading my remark on the increase of daylength (see post of 6 August) that get birds excited about the new season coming, a friend sent me this link which explains a lot of the change in behaviour of the birds.
The research done by these scientists just proves that the new season is on it's way, and I was delighted to see my hunch about the daylength rather than higher temperatures had been on the spot. And yesterday I witnessed it when I observed the first Little Swifts that have returned to our patch. The past few days mark an increase in activity around the bird feeder in my garden as well, with male birds trying their best to impress the females.
All this new activity is a good sign for atlasing, as all the new activity tempts one to rather go out to atlas to welcome the migrants back, than to grind along at the workbench. A nice walk on the golf course or in the veld with binoculars restores mind, body and soul - and helps the endorphins to kick us into a new gear for the new season.

No comments: