26 June 2008

See ... and be seen!

I have won the wonderful support of the many farm owners in our district for SABAP2 and after asking their permission they allow me to roam their farms freely. The only problem is the ever present possibility of a criminal element. Most of the farmers in our area are stockfarmers and stock theft is a great problem. Some of the farmers asked me to find a way to make myself more visible to themselves, their workers and the SAPS patrolling the farm roads as any vehicle moving slowly along in the farming areas is treated with suspicion. The outcome was to have these door magnets made by a local signage firm. When I am out atlasing in the district I always have them on my car doors. The effect is that some of the farm workers now know the reason for my visit and they point out interesting observations they have made since my last visit to me. It helps me to get them involved in SABAP2 by reporting sightings to me and I have a way to engage with them about conservation in general and birds in particular. Even in town people stop and ask me about the magnets and I have a nice point of contact to get them interested. Now I can go out to see the birds ... and I am seen for who I am.

No comments: