25 May 2008

Fiscal's pantry

The last few weeks I've been monitoring the nesting site of Secretarybirds in our district. A week or three ago when I visited the site, I saw a Common Fiscal on the fence - working on one of the barbs. On closer inspection I saw this poor locust impaled on the barb - definitely a little snack for Mr Fiscal for another day. I marked the spot near the fence post to follow up on this find.

The very next visit the kids ran up front to inspect the pantry - the barb was empty - the snack removed. Though on a barb on a lower strand was small dried frog - a delicatessen for another day. To watch birds and their habits are really fascinating and we can learn such a lot from them - about birds and about ourselves and our interaction with nature around us.


No comments: